New normal of trust for Joko Widodo’s farewell visit to Sydney
Indonesian President’s scheduled visit next Monday to Wednesday – his final before elections next February that the second-term leader is barred by his nation’s constitution from contesting.
In the News
- Indonesia Sepertinya Ingin Bermitra dengan Australia Untuk Menjadi Pusat Pengembangan Mobil Listrik di Dunia. Para menteri dan pemimpin bisnis Indonesia, termasuk Menteri Kelautan dan Investasi Luhut Binsar Pandjaitan, sudah berulang kali menyuarakan keinginan untuk bermitra dengan Australia untuk mengimpor litium. (ABC News)
- It’s Australia’s ‘close friend’ and a ‘future superpower’. Should more people learn its language?At least 160 people filed into a lecture theatre at the Social Sciences Building at the University of Sydney on 9 June. Of them, 120 were students from five high schools in NSW. (SBS)
- How being an international student in Indonesia changed these Australians’ minds and lives. Australian university student Maya Willis is having the “best six months” of her life studying in Indonesia. “I love the Indonesian people so much, I think they’re the friendliest people I’ve ever met,” Ms Willis said. (ABC News)
- There is a current outbreak of foot and mouth disease (FMD) in Indonesia. Increased biosecurity measures are in place in Australian airports to prevent the disease spreading across our borders. (Smart Traveller)
- Di Australia, mereka yang berstatus warga negara dan ingin belajar di perguruan tinggi bisa melakukannya tanpa membayar biaya terlebih dahulu.Tapi bukan berarti biayanya gratis, karena mereka mendapat pinjaman dari pemerintah, yang cicilannya dibayar setelah mereka mendapat penghasilan dengan jumlah tertentu. (ABC News)
- Dekriminalisasi mariyuana sangat penting untuk menghindari diskriminasi rasial sekaligus melindungi polisi. Namun ada perbedaan yang harus dibuat antara dekriminalisasi dan legalisasi. Polisi, politisi, dan pakar obat-obatan terlarang sedang mempertimbangkan debat baru seputar legalisasi ganja di Australia. (SBS Bahasa Indonesia)
- AIYA Indigenous Engagement Events! The Kumpul Committee was established to connect with and celebrate the Indigenous cultures of both Australia and Indonesia.
- AIYA NSW is hosting MALAM KARIER. As the impact of Artificial Intelligence (AI) and automation continues to grow, the job landscape is changing rapidly. Some jobs are disappearing while others are being created. But what does this mean for job seekers and professionals navigating their careers in this new era? Thu, 27 Jul 2023 6:30 PM – 8:00 PM AEST, register here.
- JOIN AIYA ON DISCORD! AIYA would like to cordially invite you to join our Discord, an online group-chatting platform. We will be using Discord a digital hub for AIYA activities including:
- Games nights – AIYA will be hosting casual and impromptu gatherings on Discord
- Ngobrol santai – any AIYA member can join and chat with other members whenever you want.
- JOIN AIYA FLEX – our online language exchange is open to anyone with any level of Indonesian and English! It is held monthly on the first Sunday of the month at 1pm WIB/5pm AEDT. Join FLEX here (a recurring link).
- JOIN AIYA LANGUAGE EXCHANGE (IN-PERSON or ONLINE!) LX is back in multiple locations across Australia. Connect, chill, and converse with like-minded youth, meet new friends and engage in cross-cultural exchange. In-person language exchange is on:
- NSW: Every Thursday, 6:30pm, alternating between in-person and online on Zoom. Follow @aiya_nsw on Instagram or Facebook for more info or find the schedule here.
- VIC: Every Wednesday, 6pm, Kathleen Syme Library and Community Centre. Follow @aiya_victoria on Instagram or Facebook for more info.
- YOGYAKARTA: Biweekly on Mondays, 7pm, Lokio Cafe. Follow @aiya.yogyakarta on Instagram or Facebook for more info.
- The University of Melbourne – ASIALINK is hosting a webinar around What does the future hold for Australia-Indonesia relations with a change of president due in 2024? What are the opportunities for deepening trade and investment?. Register here
- Charles Darwin University is hosting a 4-Day Indigenous Diplomacy Intensive Workshop on 17-20 July. Register here.
- AIYA National is seeking KUMPUL Committee Officer. The name Kumpul, meaning ‘gather’ in Indonesian, was chosen to symbolise the way in which AIYA wants to engage with Indigenous issues. Members of the Kumpul Committee would contribute to AIYA’s engagement with Indigenous Australian and Indonesian youth by continuing the NAIDOC Advisory Committee’s work which was established in 2020, and developing new ideas to bring the committee into the future. Apply here by 7 July.
- AIYA National is recruiting Digital Events Officer who will work with the Director of Operations, Operations Coordinators and wider team by organising AIYA digital initiatives to expand AIYA’s digital presence. Past events that have been organised are webinar or workshop series in the Australia-Indonesia relationship, social events to promote cultural exchange between Indonesia and Australia. Apply here by 7 July.
- AIYA Victoria is looking for more committee members for their 2023 committee. Apply and find more info here.
- Join the ACICIS team as an Intern in the Yogyakarta office! these positions would suit students in their third to final year in university who have an interest or passion in Australian-Indonesian relations, international relations/law, English literature, education, intercultural communications, management, or hospitality. Apply by 5 July here.
- Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) is looking for Project Co-ordinator which will provide coordination of several laboratory capacity building projects across Indonesia. Apply before 9 July.
- CSIRO is looking for Project Officer REDS (Regional Emerging Disease Support) program will provide coordination to a highly technical laboratory capacity building project in Indonesia, the Regional Emerging Disease Support project (REDS). Apply before 10 July.
- The University of Sydney is looking for SSEAC Knowledge Translation Officer. As a Knowledge Translation Officer, you will be part of a dedicated team who deliver the University of Sydney’s Southeast Asia Centre. Apply before Monday 10 July.
- The Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, under the Aus4ASEAN Digital Transformation and Future Skills initiative, invites applications from ASEAN countries to attend an Australia Awards Aus4ASEAN Short Course on Green Skills in TVET. Two weeks short course, apply by 10 July.
- Australian Trade and Investment Commission (Austrade) is looking for Marketing Manager that will support the delivery of initiatives that will promote Australian industry capability in Indonesia, raise awareness of trade opportunities in Indonesia to Australian businesses and position Australia as a leading provider of quality education. Apply before 18 July.
- DT Global is looking for a Research Manager (Economist) which will be a member of the SKALA Performance and Learning Team and will work closely with the Performance & Learning (P&L) Director and the Research Lead in supporting the consistent and high-quality implementation of the Monitoring, Evaluation, Research and Learning (MERL) system across the program. Application close 12 July.
- DT Global is looking for a Senior Communications Officer based in Jakarta to support the clear communication of KIAT’s policy priorities and achievements in the Indonesian infrastructure sector to Indonesian and Australian audiences. This position is on a rolling basis. Apply here.
- Australian Volunteers is temporarily suspending overseas placements but are continuing to support partner organisations through remote volunteering. If you’re interested in volunteering in-country then check-out a range of opportunities here.
- DFAT has established the Emerging Markets Impact Investment Fund (EMIIF) which seeks to support development ideas across the Indo-Pacific region. If you have a bright development idea consider applying for support here.
- Do you have a great Indonesia-Australia business development idea that needs connecting and support? Submit your ideas to Katalis through its business portal here. Proposals can be submitted all year, and will be subject to approval from the governments of Indonesia and Australia.
- DT Global (KIAT) is opening various employment opportunities and current tenders. Find out more here. KIAT works with its government partners across Indonesia to deliver a range of large and small projects to improve access to infrastructure for all Indonesians.
- Inside Indonesia is looking for a reliable volunteer to help with uploading a few articles to the website every couple of weeks. Please send your interest to [email protected]
- The Australian Government is receiving applications for the Working Holiday Maker program that allows young adults to have a 12 month holiday, during which they can undertake short-term work and study. More info here.
- The Australian National University is offering a course on introduction to Indonesia’s economy and policy environment. This is a chance to learn from world experts on the Indonesian economy in a two-day intensive course. More info here.
- The Jakarta Bintangs is an Australian Football Club with membership open to women, men and children of all nationalities, ages and ability. Beginners are most welcome. The club organizes games throughout the year. Most games are played in Jakarta, with occasional games across Indonesia and overseas. Tours are planned to Bali, Batam, Vietnam and Thailand this year. Trainings are held mostly held at Lapangan Bola Aldiron in Jakarta on Saturday or Sunday afternoons. On occasion, trainings are also held Thursday nights in the GBK complex.To keep up to date with training schedule follow them on Instagram @jakartabintangs, or contact Han on 081119337855. For more information click here.