In the news
- Indonesian financial markets are still dealing with the fallout from the Federal Reserve’s ‘tapering’ of monetary stimulus.
- Big changes to Indonesia’s electoral system are on the cards as Parliament debates amendments to relevant laws.
- Reuters reports on calls for Indonesia to reinvigorate family planning as its population booms.
- The FT’s @BenjaminBland wrote a how-to guide for investing in Jakarta property.
- Inside Indonesia’s new edition is out; this month’s focus is on ‘Cosmopolitan Indonesia’.
- The Wall Street Journal reports on Lion Air’s grand plans for an IPO and developing Batam as an aviation hub.
- The Institute for the Policy Analysis of Conflict’s new report on Indonesian fighters in Syria has gotten a lot of attention.
- Australia-Indonesia Youth Exchange Program participants were featured on the ABC, check out the videos here and here!
For your entertainment
Events and Opportunities
- Are you someone of Asian background working in Australia? The Diversity Council of Australia would like your responses for a survey about the experience of Asians in the Australian workforce. Click here for more information about the survey, and here for the questionnaire.
- AIYA’s ANU Chapter will hold its AGM on 24 February. RSVP at the Facebook Event.
- New opportunities at the AIYA Job Board: a primary-level Bahasa Indonesia teacher in Melbourne and an admin position at the Victorian Government’s Jakarta office.
- Applications to be a part of the PABM Malay-language speech contest in KL this year have been extended to 4 February. Don’t miss out!