In the news
- Indonesia’s GDP numbers for 2013 were released yesterday, showing stronger growth than expected but still signalling a slowing economy.
- Finance Minister @ChatibBasri has joined India’s central bank governor in calling for better communication between the US Federal Reserve and emerging markets.
- The Jakarta Globe reports on this week’s Indonesia Australia People Talk Conference, featuring AIYEP participants and AIYA friends!
- Trade Minister Gita Wirjawan has resigned from Cabinet to focus on his race to become the Democratic Party’s presidential candidate.
- The FT‘s @BenjaminBland takes a look at President Yudhoyono’s new book.
- The Jakarta Post reports on Indonesia’s ambitions to become a major auto manufacturing base.
- An interesting art exhibition in Jakarta looks at the faces of Indonesian couples (Jakarta Globe).
- Great find for history buffs: Indonesian archaeologists have confirmed the discovery of a Nazi U-Boat wreck in the Java Sea.
Events and opportunities
- Jakarta, 10 February: AIYA Jakarta will host an Australia-Indonesia Young Professionals networking evening at Poste Kitchen and Bar, Mega Kuningan. RSVP today!
- Perth, 14 February: The Australia-Indonesia Business Council of WA will host a Sundowner Evening with H.E. the Bupati of Wakatobi at the Indonesian Consulate. Details here.
- Canberra, 21 February: ‘Gardens of the East’, an exhibition of photography from Indonesia from the 1850s to the 1940s, opens at the National Gallery of Australia.
- Applications for the prestigious Australia Awards scholarships for postgraduate study in Australia (for Indonesians) are now open—details here.
- New at the AIYA Job Board: International Student Recruitment Assistant at Macquarie University, and positions at the World Resources Institute in Jakarta.