In the news
- Indonesia has a new Trade Minister, former BKPM chairman Muhammad Lufti.
- Analysts and investors tell Bloomberg that markets would respond positively to Jakarta Governor Joko Widodo winning this year’s presidential elections.
- Boom Watch: a new report says Jakarta is the world’s hottest luxury property market.
- The New York Times has a great report on Indonesia’s efforts to boost its defence industry.
- @BenjaminBland writes in the Financial Times about how election season can be a boon for business.
- The ABC’s @HBrown10 reports on the 75 million young Indonesians voting for the first time this year.
- FT: Indonesia’s mineral export ban is causing confusion and job losses.
- This Jakarta Globe story highlights the challenges faced by disabled student in Indonesian universities.
- At Inside Indonesia, the ANU’s Ed Aspinall writes about the sex tapes of Indonesian politicians.
- Take a look at the just-released CAUSINDY 2013 delegates’ report, the outcome of discussions at last year’s conference.
- Presidential advisor Dr Santo Darmosumarto (@sdarmosumarto) speaks about the importance of personal relationships across the country divide in our latest video.
Events and opportunities
- Canberra, 20 and 21 February: Indonesian Finance Minister M. Chatib Basri will appear on a panel at the launch of East Asia Forum‘s new edition on Indonesia, and deliver a public lecture at the ANU.
- Jakarta, 22 February: attend the Australian Graduates Job Fair hosted by Austrade and IKAMA (Ikatan Alumni Australia).
- An Indonesia-based developer wants to get some feedback from Indonesian language learners on a new Bahasa Indonesia app—you can help by taking a few minutes to fill out this survey!
- IMF Managing Director Christine Lagarde will appear on Q&A next week, and the ABC is keen to air questions from Indonesia. Email your question now to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Great journalism gig at the AIYA Job Board: The Conversation is looking for a Jakarta-based correspondent.