The AIYA survey has been extended for an extra week! If you haven’t already, have your say before it closes for good tomorrow.
In the news
- The ABC’s Helen Brown (@hbrown10) checked in with the Prabowo campaign ahead of April’s legislative elections.
- At New Mandala’s Indonesia Votes site, a look at Indonesia’s “paranormal politics”, as candidates turn to dukun and sacred rituals.
- An interesting story by the FT’s @BenjaminBland on this year’s new breed of first-time candidates.
- Reuters this week ran a story on Surabaya mayor Tri Risma’s efforts to shut down Dolly, the city’s red light district.
- The dispute between the Rothschild and Bakrie families over its failed joint venture has spilled on to Twitter.
- Former Ambassador to Australia, Imron Cotan: a trust deficit is affecting Australia-Indonesia relations.
- Journalists from Indonesia are visiting Australia this week — including Okezone, who ran this story about AIYA earlier in the week. The group also visited a Perth school to look at traditional dancing and Indonesian language study (all in Indonesian).
- CAUSINDY founder Bede Moore was interviewed about entrepreneurship in a growth market for The Economist.
- The University of Queensland announced opened a representative office in Jakarta.
On the AIYA blog
- Alexandra Hearne on the role that social media is playing in this year’s election campaign: “I tweet and I vote“.
- Nicholas Mark (@Indoventurers) also spoke to Cathy Henkel, the director of new film Rise of the Eco-warriors.
- Our latest video from CAUSINDY 2013 is an audience Q&A, talking social enterprise, foreign aid, and business links between Australia and Inodnesia.
- In case you missed it last week, Liam Gammon (@Gammonator) spoke to Bogor’s mayor-elect Bima Arya.
Events and opportunities
- Sydney: Last chance to register for AIYA NSW’s 2014 Election Preview event, which will include speakers Natalie Sambhi (@SecurityScholar), @RossTapsell and @alison_m_martin. Nicholas Mark spoke to SBS Radio about the event this week.
- Sydney: this week, AIYA launched its Asialink internship program, offering the opportunity to take a twelve-week placement in Asialink’s Sydney offices.
- Jakarta: the Victorian Government Business Office is looking for an Education Services Director.
- AFL Indonesia are looking for Indonesian players to take part in the AFL International Cup in Melbourne this August.