Indonesia’s presidential and vice-presidential candidates: Prabowo-Hatta (L) and Jokowi-JK (R). Photos by Kompas.
In the news
- Indonesia’s 2014 presidential election is officially a two-horse race, between Prabowo Subianto and Joko Widodo. As The Jakarta Post reported, it’s going to be close.
- The head of Indonesia’s fledgling financial services authority was interviewed on ABC TV this week.
- Floating ATMs in Maluku? Bloomberg highlights the great promise and the great disparities in Indonesia’s economy.
- At Whiteboard Journal, Fedina Sundaryani (@MonkeeNoodles) reflects on how taboos around sex affect research and policy making in Indonesia.
- At New Mandala (@IndoNewMandala), Tom Power (@tpjpower) analyses the ideological differences between Indonesia’s presidential candidates.
- Great to hear that Jakarta’s deputy governor Basuki Tjahaja Purnama (@Basuki_BTP) enjoyed watching Jalanan with director @DanielZiv and stars!
On the blog
- AIYA Victoria member Sam Shlansky reviews the documentary Sokola Rimba, which played at the recent Indonesian Film Festival in Melbourne (Bahasa Indonesia).
- We caught up with University of Sydney teacher and PhD student Elisabeth Cramer to chat about how she came to know and love Indonesia.
- Indonesia wouldn’t be Indonesia without dangdut. Enjoy some classic tracks in this fresh musical podcast hosted by Whiteboard Journal.
Events and opportunities
- At the AIYA Job Board: opportunities to be a volunteer editor at the highly-respeced Inside Indonesia, and two great positions at the Victorian Government Business Office in Jakarta—a Trade Director and a Government Liaison Manager.
- Don’t forget: applications to be a part of CAUSINDY 2014 in Jakarta are still open.
- Are you an Indonesian interested in studying in Australia? Check out information on the Australia Awards scholarships here.