We at AIYA wish the Republic of Indonesia a very happy 69th birthday.
In the news
- Joko Widodo will soon need to pick a new Foreign Minister. Indonesian analysts tell the Jakarta Globe that sticking with Dr Marty Natalegawa is the best choice.
- Bloomberg: Indonesia’s current account deficit is still causing concern in financial markets.
- At New Mandala: the new president has some tough budget decisions to make from day one.
- The Jakarta Globe looks at at the increasing role Chinese-Indonesians are playing in political life.
- The Magdalene speaks to liberal Islamic thinker Musdah Mulia about religion and politics.
- As Hari Merdeka approaches, Muhammad Hilmi writes about how Soekarno’s grave is a site of pilgrimage and mysticism at Whiteboard Journal.
On the blog
- AIYA’s Tim Flicker had a chat with Muhammad Nur Rizal of Indonesia Belajar, an initiative which is bringing Australian educational expertise into Indonesian schools.
Events and opportunities
- Stand up comedy, traditional dances and eating contests: these are some of the ways Indonesians in Australia will be celebrating Indonesian Independence Day on Sunday, 17 August. Check out AIYA’s list of celebrations around Australia.
- At the AIYA Job Board: Pozible needs a full time Crowdfunding Coordinator to help work on its plans to expand into Indonesia.
- AIYA Victoria’s former President Samuel Bashfield is motorbiking from Banda Aceh to Jakarta and raising money for the Heart Foundation all the way. Follow the trip on his Facebook page!