AIYA Links, 26/9: Welcoming AIYA Yogya
Great to see my good friend @SBYudhoyono today – I thanked him for his very strong statements against ISIL pic.twitter.com/vhBEy97pBe
— Tony Abbott (@TonyAbbottMHR) September 24, 2014
AIYA Yogya Launch
- We’re delighted to announce that AIYA’s Yogyakarta Chapter will be officially launched on 29 September. Come along to the welcome Networking Evening at the UGM Food Park on Monday—see the Facebook event for full details.
In the news
- Dr Dewi Fortuna Anwar speaks to the ABC about President Yudhoyono’s legacy and the challenges for Jokowi.
- The New York Times covers recent worries about online freedom of speech in Indonesia.
- The DPR voted last night to eliminate direct local elections of mayors, governors and district heads — a “sudden malady afflicting Indonesia’s electoral democracy” according to the Asia Foundation’s Andrew Thornley.
- Read the new Institute for Policy Analysis of Conflict (IPAC) report on the evolution of ISIS supporters’ networks in Indonesia.
- The FT looks at the prospects of Indonesia’s middle class putting their money into the local stock market.
- ABC Canberra reports on an exhibition of Indonesian artworks on show at the National Portrait Gallery.
- Canberra, until 15 October: fine portraits from the Galeri Nasional Indonesia will be on show at the National Portrait Gallery. See here for more details.