AIYA Links, 14 November: Jokowi steps out
In the news
- President Joko Widodo has made his debut on the world stage, spruiking foreign investment at the APEC summit in Beijing, ‘fair trade’ at the ASEAN leaders’ summit in Myanmar, before heading to the G20 in Brisbane.
- Back home, continued uncertainty about the size of the fuel subsidy reduction the president has promised, as official interest rates stay on hold.
- The new chief security minister tells Reuters Indonesia will soon establish a coast guard.
- Indonesians still can’t get enough of Australian beef.
- Inside Indonesia covers the dangers of being a whistleblower in local government.
On the AIYA Blog
- We’ve got a review of @AriSharp‘s new book, Risky Business: how Indonesia’s economic nationalism is hurting foreign investment—and local people.
Events and opportunities
- Perth, 26 November: Watch @DanielZiv‘s acclaimed documentary Jalanan at a screening hosted by AIYA WA at The Jaffa Room.
- On the AIYA Job Board: ACICIS is looking for a Yogya-based IT Officer, AsiaLink is offering Sydney-based internships, and applications for the prestigious Elizabeth O’Neill Journalism Award is now open.