In the news
- In news breaking today, a deputy commissioner of the anti-corruption commission (KPK) was arrested in Jakarta, a major escalation in the conflict between the commission, the police and political elites.
- PM Abbott has expressed dismay over the rejection of clemency for Australians sentenced to death for drug trafficking in Indonesia.
- Good analysis of the politics of the death penalty from Melbourne Uni’s Prof Tim Lindsey and Jakarta Post editor Endy Bayuni.
- Indonesian parliament acted to reinstate direct local elections after their brief abolition last year.
- Bored of Bintang? The FT takes a look at an increasingly popular Indonesian cider.
At the AIYA Blog
- More complicated than ‘Hello’: AIYA chats to Brahm Marjadi about greeting customs in Indonesia.