In the news
- Congratulations to Professor David Hill—a long time champion of Australia-Indonesia educational and cultural ties—who was announced as a recipient of the Member of the Order of Australia honour on Australia Day.
- Political manoeuvring is underway in Jakarta, with analysts speculating that the president is seeking a way out of the Police-KPK crisis.
- Despite the political uncertainty, business says that economic policy is on the right track.
- Indonesia’s National Transportation Safety Committee released a preliminary report on December’s Indonesia AirAsia disaster.
- Historian Freek Colombijn looks back at what Indonesia’s national soccer team can learn from their pre-independece predecessors.
At the AIYA Blog
- Sebastian McLellan reviews Andre Vltchek’s Indonesia: Archipelago of Fear, finding it a passionate but one-sided portrayal of modern Indonesia’s problems.
Events & opportunities
- Want to work with AIYA? We’re looking for people to be a part of our National Executive.
- The Asia Society is advertising Sydney-based internship positions running from February-May this year.
- Applications for the Indonesian government’s Darmasiswa Scholarship Program, which offers one-year scholarships for foreign students to study the language, arts and culture of Indonesia, are now open.