AIYA Links: 8 May
In the news
- After last week’s execution of two Australian citizens in Indonesia, a new Lowy poll finds that Australians reject the death penalty while supporting stable ties with Indonesia.
- Fairfax’s John Garnaut warns Australians against seeing Indonesian politics solely through the prism of the executions.
- Indonesia’s economy is experiencing its slowest growth in years, and The Economist blames a resurgence of protectionism.
- Bloomberg looks at the battle over a new power plant in Java, where farmers fear being left landless.
At the AIYA Blog
- Clarissa Tanurahardja on how Twitter is fast becoming the voice of Indonesia’s youth.
Events & opportunities
- Brisbane, 16 May: come along to UQ’s 2015 Indonesian Day—full info here.
- Canberra, 18 May: grab a ticket for AIYA ACT’s screening of the hit documentary Jalanan.
- Two great openings at the AIYA Job Board: the Office of National Assessments seeks a new Indonesia Team Leader, and the Jakarta Post is hiring a new copy editor.