AIYA Links: Welcoming CAUSINDY to Darwin
We’re thrilled to announce that Darwin will host CAUSINDY 2015, exploring the long heritage of cultural and trade exchanges between Indonesia and Northern Australia.
Interested in applying to be a delegate to CAUSINDY? Don’t miss the upcoming information nights in Jakarta, Melbourne, Sydney, and Canberra.
AIYA would like to wish all of our Muslim friends and their families a safe and happy month of Ramadhan, whether in Australia or Indonesia. Ramadhan mubarak!
In the news
- In Jakarta, a cabinet reshuffle draws nearer as underperforming ministers receive media flak.
- In Fairfax papers, John Garnaut warns of the strategic risks for Australia of letting the relationship deteriorate amid tensions over people smuggling.
- In a feature on the relationship’s problems, the Jakarta Globe cites AIYA’s championing of dialogue as being part of the solution.
- Groundhog day: the Lowy Institute’s annual poll shows many Australians are still distrustful and ignorant of Indonesia.
- Don’t miss former Fairfax Jakarta correspondent Michael Bachelard’s experiences from Indonesia’s Papua provinces at the Lowy Interpreter.
- Check out the analysis and policy recommendations in the ANU Defence & Strategic Studies Centre’s new paper, A Strategy Towards Indonesia.
- Drug policy reform advocates argue Indonesia’s recent crackdown is failing.