AIYA Links: 26 June
AIYA is proud to announce the National Australia Indonesia Language Awards (NAILA), an Australia-wide Bahasa Indonesia speech competition open to primary school to executive level speakers. Check out the AIYA Blog to find out how to get involved.
AIYA National Executive positions
Want play a lead role in AIYA’s initiatives and outreach? We are currently seeking expressions of interest for two volunteer positions on our national executive board.
In the news
- Bank Indonesia’s efforts to defend the Rupiah are having unwelcome effects for Indonesian businesses.
- The president failed to prevent controversial parliamentary votes on anti-corruption and ‘pork barrel’ funds.
- Foreigners will soon be able to own flats in Indonesia as part of an effort to boost the property sector.
- The Jokowi administration cops a serve from The Australian’s Greg Sheridan.
- Brace yourselves, nerds: Comic-Con is coming to Jakarta.
- The Lowy Interpreter wraps up Michael Bachelard’s series of posts on Papua’s troubles.
- At the AIYA Blog, a tour of Jakarta’s fascinating National Museum.
Events & opportunities
- Melbourne, 1 July: ACICIS is turning 20, and you’re invited to celebrate along with AIYA Victoria with an evening cocktail at the Sidney Myer Asia Centre.