AIYA Links: 24 July
In the news
- Former Australian government analyst Ken Ward’s new paper on the relationship has made a splash with its call for lowering expectations.
- Economists criticised Indonesia’s finance ministry for raising duties on many consumer items.
- Australian industry will be hit by big increases in meat tariffs.
- The Wall Street Journal looks at President Jokowi’s challenges in cutting through bureaucracy and vested interests.
- Explore contemporary Indonesian literature in Inside Indonesia’s new special edition.
- At the Indonesia at Melbourne blog: legacy of New Order repression, making smoking ‘uncool’, and controversy at the Constitutional Court.
Events & opportunities
- Soundsekerta 2015: tickets are now on sale for PPIA Monash’s festival of Indonesian music.
- AIYA Networking Canberra: AIYA ACT hosts its Australia-Indonesia Networking Night at the Indonesian Embassy on 6 August.