AIYA Links: 21 August
In the news
- Justice Minister Michael Keenan became the first Australian minister to visit Indonesia since the February executions, announcing a bilateral counter-terror summit.
- @YohanesSulaiman tells the ABC that Australia must appreciate President Jokowi’s overriding domestic policy focus.
- Indonesian Trade Minister Thomas Lembong says large imports of Australian cattle may be allowed in to stabilise beef prices.
- Lowy Interpreter: Matthew Busch on whether the politics are right for Indonesia to reform its way out of an economic slump.
- Inside Indonesia: from Sumba, Jacqueline Vel asks whether the new village funding system will lead to better livelihoods.
On the AIYA Blog
- Gaston Soehadi on the Melbourne International Film Festival screening of Another Country, a new Australian documentary on Indigenous cultural dislocation [Bahasa Indonesia].
- Flag-raising, greasy poles, and sack races: Clarissa Tanurahardja introduces us to traditional Independence Day games in Indonesia.
Events & opportunities
- The 2015 Ubud Writers & Reader’s Festival program and speakers list has been announced.