AIYA Links: 11 September
CAUSINDY 2015 in Darwin is only weeks away—check out some of the exciting speakers who will join delegates in exploring Northern Australia’s historical links to Indonesia.
In the news
- President Jokowi’s economic team teases markets with promises to cut over 100 examples of red tape.
- WSJ: the deregulation push is at odds with efforts to make it harder for foreigners to work in Indonesia.
- A new World Bank report highlights gender discrimination built into some Indonesian laws.
- Inside Indonesia reviews new books on spirits in politics and the famously musical Batak peoples of North Sumatra.
- The FT reports Indonesia is close to its goal of rejoining the OPEC oil cartel.
On the AIYA Blog
- Sebastian McLellan reviews Ken Ward’s recent Lowy Institute Paper on the relationship, Condemned to Crisis.
Events & opportunities
- Sydney, 30 September: sign up for an evening conversation about your future Indonesia-related career, hosted by AIYA NSW in association with PwC and the Australia-Indonesia Centre. Details at the Facebook Event.
- Canberra, 17-19 September: a special AIIA-ANU seminar exploring the 50th anniversary of the 1965 coup will be followed by the annual two-day Indonesia Update conference, which will be live-streamed.