AIYA Links: 19 February
In the news
- President Jokowi spruiked Indonesia’s booming tech sector during a visit to Silicon Valley, after representing Indonesia at the US-ASEAN Summit near Palm Springs.
- Ahead of the summit, Indonesia announced a ‘big bang’ of foreign investment liberalisation, with the president telling foreign media there’s more on the way.
- Reuters reports on plans to strengthen Indonesia’s anti-terrorism legislation, which include controversial preventative detention powers.
- New York Times: a string of homophobic remarks by public figures highlights Indonesia’s failures on gay rights.
- For your entertainment: Mas Bule confounds Starbucks with an order for coffee the Javanese way.
At the AIYA Blog
- Marsita Riandini introduces us to the Betangas, Indonesia’s answer to the sauna (with more spices).
Events & opportunities
- McKinsey & Company will hold recruitment sessions in Sydney & Melbourne for positions at its Jakarta office: details at the AIYA Jobs Board.
- Australian Volunteers for International Development assignments for Indonesia are now available.