In the news
- Indonesian weightlifters Sri Wahyuni Agustiani and Eko Yuli Irawan bag silver medals in Rio.
- On a joint visit to the Eastern province, Indonesian ministers promoted the government’s Papua policies to Australia’s Attorney-General and Ambassador.
- More good analysis of the recent cabinet reshuffle from @Busch_Matthew at Indonesia at Melbourne and Stephen Grenville at the Lowy Interpreter.
- ANU researcher Thomas Power: financial interests may lie behind some of President Jokowi’s personnel choices.
- Human Rights Watch publishes a new report on the fallout of 2016’s anti-LGBT panic in Indonesia.
At the AIYA Blog
- Sophia Dickinson takes a look at Mitra Wacana WRC, a grassroots NGO movement to fight for the rights of women and children in Yogyakarta.
Events & opportunities
- Win up to Rp10 million and show off your knowledge of Indonesian history with the ISRSF Indonesian History Essay Competition.
- Sydney, 3 September: Join CAUSINDY’s “The Bilateral Debate” on between debaters from University of Sydney and University of Indonesia. More info here and RSVP form here.
- Ada Apa Dengan Cinta 2: Sydney, Adelaide and Darwin screenings of the Indonesian hit film are coming up soon. Details on times and screenings here.