AIYA Links: 26 August
In the news
- Death and taxes: cigarette producers spooked by rumours of big hikes in the price of cigarettes.
- Arianto Patunru looks at how new Finance Minister Sri Mulyani can raise Indonesia’s tax take through other means.
- “In Indonesia three things are considered political suicide: being Communist, being Chinese and being gay. Dede [Oetomo] is at least two and a half of them.”
- Researcher Jacqui Baker chats with Talking Indonesia about the prevalence of corruption with the Indonesian police force.
At the AIYA Blog
- We’ve got a Q&A with the Australian Embassy’s Alison Purnell, who’s supporting the ModCon cross-border digital art conference.
- Pengalaman AIYEP yang merupakan ‘program sick’: a note on AIYEP nostalgia by Renza Tahalele.
Events & opportunity
- TONIGHT, Darwin: catch the final screening of Ada Apa Dengan Cinta 2‘s Australian tour.
- Sydney, 6 September: come see the Jogja Hip Hop Foundation deliver a show-stopping performance of contemporary music and traditional dance.