In the news
- A new poll shows Jakarta Governor Ahok as the underdog in the Jakarta election runoff.
- Bombshell prosecution testimony in the e-KTP ID-card corruption case implicates many high profile politicians.
- Prison sentences for religious sect leaders adds to concerns over religious freedom in Indonesia.
- ANU Indonesia Project experts say an Australia-Indonesia FTA will proceed in piecemeal steps.
Events & opportunities
- The Office of National Assessments (ONA) seeks qualified Indonesian-speaking Australians to join its terrorism team at the Open Source Centre.
- Sydney, 11 March: PPIA and IDE Forum presents a unique discussion with Indonesian TV icon, Najwa Shihab, to discuss her career and new book, ‘Catatan Najwa’ (event in Bahasa Indonesia).
- Sydney, 11 March: get along to the Australia Indonesia Awards Presentation Night.
- Sydney, 12 March: the Ramayana will be performed live at Paramasala.
- Canberra, 15 March: Join AIYA ACT to find out all about studying Indonesian at ANU.
- Perth, 16 March: join AIYA WA’s 2017 Jakarta Gubernatorial Elections Seminar, in collaboration with AIBC and Indonesia Institute.
- Jakarta, 18 March: Book Discussion on Prof. David Reeve and Iskandar Nugraha’s ‘Angkot & Bus Minangkabau – Budaya & Nilai-Nilai Populer’.
- Canberra, 21 March: AIYA ACT presents a cinema screening of the Indonesia comedy-drama of the year, Cek Toko Sebelah. For details about the Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane screenings, click here.
- Melbourne, 24 March: As Worlds Divide: Film premiere and campaign launch.
- Brisbane, 24 March: Put your passion for the bilateral relationship to the test at the AIYA QLD Australia-Indonesia Trivia Night.
- Canberra, Sydney, Darwin: Don’t miss out on performances of ‘The Age of Bones’.