Indonesia hit 1 million COVID-19 cases at the end of last month, but among at least two tribes in West Java — the people of Baduy and Kasepuhan Ciptagelar — no positive cases have ever been detected.
In the news
- Dr Greg Fealy was appointed a Member of Australia Order for his services in the field of Higher Education and Australia-Indonesia relations. He sees this as important to bilateral relations, hear him discuss here. (SBS)
- The pandemic has exposed the world’s inequalities, nowhere more than in education. Read biographic snapshots of Indonesian’s experience of adapting to learning online. (Al Jazeera)
- An Australian and Indonesian collaborate to produce a unique documentary feature film, which observationally tracks the life of a family of shamans. (Indiegogo)
- Indonesia boasts a vibrant artscene that spans the archipelago. 15 trailblazing Indonesian artists are making their mark in 2021, and their artistic talent and expression are diverse. (Luxuo)
- Newcastle Jets are pleased to announce the loan signing of Syahrian Abimanyu for the remainder of the 2020/21 season. Nicknamed Abi, Abimanyu is a member of the Indonesian Olympic team. (A-League)
On the Blog
- (Indonesian Version) Kongres AIYA baru saja digelar beberapa hari lalu dengan berbagai kegiatan yang seru salah satunya AIYA Trivia. Permainan ini menghadirkan satu pertanyaan yang menggelitik untuk dibahas yaitu Buaya Darat. Apa sebenarnya buaya darat dan benarkah buaya darat selalu identik dengan orang yang tidak setia? AIYA Blog Team punya jawabannya di sini!
- JOIN AIYA ON DISCORD! AIYA would like to cordially invite you to join our new Discord, an online group-chatting platform. We will be using Discord a digital hub for AIYA activities including:
- FLEX – our online language exchange is shifting over to Discord from UniBridge
- Games nights – AIYA will be hosting casual and impromptu gatherings on Discord
- Ngobrol santai – any AIYA member will be able to join and chat with other members whenever you want.
- 12 February- AIYA Jawa Barat x AIYA Yogyakarta Opening Event: Let’s start a new journey with positivity! Join the two AIYA chapters on sharing knowledge about positive mindset to start the year! Follow @aiya.yogyakarta and @aiya_jawa_barat for more info.
- 13, 14 & 16 February – Australia Awards Scholarships Online Talk Show provides you with information about the scheme, requirements, benefits, and how to apply for the Australia Awards Postgraduate Scholarships. Different events are held on different nights. Register here.
- 13 February – 13 March – Bali Poetry Slam Unspoken is an event a part of Southeast Asia Queer Festival, and provides a safe space poets to share their experience and educate. More info here.
- 19 February – ‘China’s COVID Vaccine Diplomacy and Its Implications on Southeast Asia’ is a webinar that explores the main drivers and implications of China’s vaccine diplomacy. Register here.
- Suara Indonesia Dance are hosting online Indonesian dance classes via zoom. They’re held on Friday nights between 6:30pm – 7:30pm AEST. All ages and levels welcome. Read more and book via Paypal here.
- Listen to cosy and in-depth conversations between talented individuals about social and cultural issues in Indonesia and Australia. Explore the Sana-Sini Podcast here.
- Kremes Podcast provides lovers of Australia and Indonesia with a chance to listen to a range of Aus-Indo topics from casual chats about our shared cross-cultural experiences to more informative discussions like tips on living/studying/working in Australia. Listen here.
- Indonesia Project Global Seminar – ANU’s Indonesia Project is bringing you a weekly series of seminars on COVID-19 right to your living room. Join in for live discussions, or surf through the archives of previous seminars here.
- Bootcamp Sprint merupakan seri pelatihan selama 5 minggu yang fokus pada pengembangan keterampilan memecahkan masalah, berpikir kritis, dan pengetahuan teknis tentang kebijakan publik untuk profesional muda. Info lebih lanjut klik di sini.
- Centre for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) mengadakan call for papers untuk jurnal ilmiahnya. Paper tersebut harus terkait isu kebijakan politik, ekonomi dan keamanan di Indonesia, dalam Bahasa Indonesia. Batas pengiriman naskah untuk kuartal pertama adalah 15 Februari. Info lebih lanjut klik di sini.
- Catalpa is seeking an International Services Coordinator, responsible for delivering social impact through technology and providing support for initiatives in Timor Leste and the Pacific. If this sounds like you, apply before 16 February here.
- DFAT is hiring for two positions in Jakarta: a Unit Manager to oversee KIAT and Prospera; and a Program Manager to assist operations for the Australian Aid Program and Prospera Apply by 17 Feb here and here.
- Scope Global is hiring a People and Culture Administrator based in Adelaide. If you are able to multitask, problem solve effectively, have strong attention to detail and have outstanding organisational skills, apply to this position before 19 February. More info here.
- Surabaya’s Direct Aid Program provides flexible small grants for East Java and Central Java. Applications should support COVID-19 recovery efforts or priority development sectors e.g education, health, gender equality and empowering persons with disability. Submit by Feb 20 here.
- Peace Gen is hiring a Project Manager to monitor and report on multiple development projects to donors such as DFAT, USAID and UN. Eligible candidates will have good English skills and have experience in the NGO sector. Apply by Feb 20 here.
- Prospera is looking for an experienced Communication Adviser to lead its Communications Strategy and to deliver outcomes. Candidates that possess strong qualifications and experience and have Indonesian experience are encouraged to apply before 22 February. Apply here.
- Cardno is seeking Deputy Director to lead KIAT’s water and sanitation programs, and establish relationships with the Government of Indonesia and Australia. Send your application before Feb 22 here.
- Conciliation Resources is looking for a dynamic and organised team leader to fill the position of Program Director, Pacific Region, to lead the organisation’s peacebuilding and conflict resolution work in the Pacific. Apply by 28 February here.
- ANU Data61 International Fellowship Program for Indonesian Civil Servants is a unique 3-month fellowship to support the professional development of 2 Indonesian data specialist civil servants. Applications close 28 February. More info here.
- Victorian Indonesian Language Teachers Association are calling for enthusiastic Indonesian teachers and linguists to present their knowledge and experiences to improve Indonesian language learning. Apply by Feb 28 here.
- US CSIS Research Intern – Southeast Asia Program (Spring 2021) is seeking interns with a foundation in Southeast Asia studies and international relations/political economy. Apply here for this remote internship.
- Gojek is hiring Programs & Communication Associate in charge of the Yayasan Anak Bangsa Bisa (YABB) program implementation. Interested candidates shall apply directly on the link here.
- ANU & SMERU Research have opened grant applications for collaborative research projects between Australians and Indonesians. Covid-relevant research areas are encouraged this year; apply by 31 March here.
- AIFIS-MSU Conference on Indonesian Studies is calling for abstracts with submission deadline on 31 March. The conference welcomes scholars with interests in history, culture, anthropology, sociology, language and arts of Indonesia. For more information click here.
- Indonesia Council Open Conference has an open call for proposals. The ICOC will focus on the partnerships that underpin Australia-Indonesia relations. Instructions for paper and presentation submissions are available here.
- Women’s World Banking is offering opportunities for Associate, Southeast Asia Public Policy Manager, and Research Specialist to be based in Jakarta. Apply soon on this link.
- IDP education is seeking an Education Counsellor Australia based in Kebun Jeruk. If you hold a minimal Bachelor’s degree, preferably from an Australian university and or have experience in education counselling, apply here.
- The Asian Trade Centre (AIC) is seeking Research Analysts to join for internships. Interns must have a background in policy research, trade, economics, law or related areas, and will contribute to the design, development and delivery of ATC’s trade research, capacity building, thought leadership and advocacy products. ATC will review & accept candidates on a rolling basis throughout 2020. More info here.
- The Indonesian Film Festival Australia is open for submissions for 2021. This year’s theme, ‘Myopia’, is a celebration of all the little things that often get overlooked. More info here and apply here.
- Have you got some stories to share about Southeast Asia? Pitch an idea to The Sydney Southeast Asia Centre. SSEAC is looking for a breadth of disciplinary focus including history, law, political science, agriculture, medicine, among others. For more info click here.
- Inside Indonesia publishes original pieces on a wide range of political, social, environmental and cultural issues in Indonesia. They accept articles from a diverse range of people who have an interest in Indonesia. To find out how to contribute, click here.