AIYA Links: 28 January
Indonesia is expected to hold the G20 summit in October in a slightly changed format, with more emphasis on bringing in prominent figures to speak at the high-profile event. Jokowi plans to invite figures such as former CEO of Microsoft Bill Gates and CEO of Meta Mark Zuckerberg, among others, to speak at the event.
In the news
- The Australian government has considered youth mobility to the Indo-Pacific to be crucial in building Australia’s connection with the region. Research shows the increase of youth agency, led by associations like AIYA, in influencing and advocating for student mobility, multilateral relationships and social changes. (Taylor & Francis)
- Indonesia is aiming to export cars to Australia in the first quarter of 2022, although the brand of the cars have not been divulged. Automotive is one of the products that Indonesia is seeking to boost following the collapse of the automotive industry in Australia. (Antara News)
- Matildas captain Sam Kerr has become Australian football’s greatest international goal-scorer as Australia began their Women’s Asian Cup campaign with a record-breaking 18-0 win over Indonesia. (The Guardian)
- Emeritus Professor at the College of Asia and the Pacific at the Australian National University, Virginia Hooker, has been awarded an Order of Australia (AM) for services to Tertiary Education. Read how she has been present for a lot of Australia’s growing relationship with South-East Asia, in particular Indonesia.(Braidwood Times)
- Researchers in Indonesia studying human society and its workings no longer operate under the strictures of the authoritarian era, when those working in the field of social science were expected to support the regime’s policies. But do contemporary Indonesian social scientists enjoy the freedom to conduct socially relevant research on any topic of their choosing? Tune-in to explore this topic in this episode of Talking Indonesia: social science
- OzAlumni podcast here.
- AIYA Indigenous Engagement Events! Kumpul, AIYA’s Indigenous Engagement Committee have worked to construct and host some events in celebration. Interested? Join the WA group here and/or the FB group here.
- AIYA NTT will be holding a virtual language exchange via Zoom on 29 January. Theme: National Food and Nutrition Day – sharing ideas and experiences about food.
- AIYA NSW are hosting a fun badminton event and would love you to join us at Sydney Olympic Park on 29 Jan. Register here.
- AIYA Sulawesi Selatan will be hosting LaLaLa Trivia covering Indonesian and English music. Event will be held on Zoom on 30 January here.
- AIYA NTT will be hosting an online Chinese New Year Trivia to connect the youth and to share interesting things about Chinese New Year from Australia and Indonesia. Event will be held on Zoom on 5 February here.
- JOIN AIYA ON DISCORD! AIYA would like to cordially invite you to join our new Discord, an online group-chatting platform. We will be using Discord a digital hub for AIYA activities including:
- FLEX – our online language exchange is on Discord and open to anyone with any level of Indonesian and English. FLEX will return on 16 January 2022. Stay tuned!
- Games nights – AIYA will be hosting casual and impromptu gatherings on Discord
- Ngobrol santai – any AIYA member will be able to join and chat with other members whenever you want.
- JOIN AIYA IN-PERSON LANGUAGE EXCHANGE! LX is back in multiple locations across Australia. Connect, chill, and converse with like-minded youth, meet new friends and engage in cross-cultural exchange. In-person language exchange is on:
- WA: Every second Wednesday, 6pm, Old Shanghai Northbridge. Follow @aiya_wa on Instagram or Facebook for more info.
- VIC: Every Wednesday, 6pm, Carlton Gardens (outside IMAX). Follow @aiya_victoria on Instagram or Facebook for more info.
- IA-CEPA ECP Katalis x ATENSI are hosting “Digital Healthcare Skills for the Future” on 3 Feb at 10am WIB. Join the discussion with Indonesian and Australian experts and practitioners in the digital health industry. Register here.
- AsiaLink is hosting the event ‘Indonesia: The Immense Potential for NSW Food & Beverage Exporters’ on 10 Feb, register here.
- AP4D (The Asia-Pacific Development, Diplomacy & Defence Dialogue) is hosting a symposium to launch five Options Papers which are the culmination of six months of consultations with over 150 experts from across the development, diplomacy and defence communities as well as regional specialists. Held on 10 Feb, register here.
- Sydney Australia Masterclass will be held from 7 – 17 Feb, bringing together some of Australia’s most renowned academics. Join them as they shine a light on the global issues defining our future. More information here.
- Monash University Indonesia is hosting an online event to explore innovative partnerships between Australia and Indonesia and how these can help achieve the SDGs. Register for 15 Feb here.
- CQUniversity Australia is looking for their next CEO Indonesia Operations to take the lead in making a difference in international higher education and achieve outstanding results beyond the typical University approach. Apple by 20 Feb here.
- AIYA QLD is looking for new officers in treasury and events positions. Apply here by 31 Jan.
- AIYA SA is inviting people passionate about Aus-Ind relations to join the 2022 Committee for 2022 as President, Treasurer and Secretary. Nominate yourself by 21 Feb here.
- TechieRank.com is a free service from an Aussie Startup that is aiming to help young Indonesian techies stand out to recruiters and employers. Find out more here
- Business Smart Solutions is looking for a motivated IT Project and Relationship Coordinator to join their Sydney team, with at least 1-year of professional experience, including project management experience or interest. Apple here.
- Cardno is looking for candidates for the RFT – Comparative assessment of nursing standards in Indonesia and Australia. Apply by 31 Jan.
- Cardno is seeking to engage a Firm/Company to design an Agri-food (Cocoa) Export Pilot Project. Apply by 31 Jan.
- Bukalapak, an Indonesian-based tech unicorn with over 100 million users, 2 thousand plus employees, and a brand new office opening right here in Melbourne! They are looking for multiple positions in Software Engineering in Sydney and Melbourne. Apply here
- ASAH Emerging Scholar Award is receiving submissions for academic papers on any subject in Asian Humanities. Submit your academic papers here and get the chance to win the award of 200 AUD. Submissions closed on 31 Jan 2022.
- ACICIS intends to provide in-country study again from semester 2, 2022. In the meantime, we encourage you to register your interest by completing the first part of their online application form.
- Australian Awards Scholarship Sudah tahu kan kalau beasiswa AAS akan buka sebentar lagi? Yaps, dengan beasiswa ini, kamu bisa mendapatkan beasiswa fully funded saat kuliah di Australia! Terapkan sebelum 5 Februari, info lebih lanjut di sini.
- Multicultural Home Ageing Services (CASS Ltd) is looking for a full-time Registered Nurse (Indonesian Speaking). Apply here by 4 Feb.
- Balai Bahasa Indonesia Perth is accepting applications for term 1 2022, beginning 7 Feb. More info here.
- Kemitraan is seeking to identify highly motivated and qualified candidates for future opportunities. Register for consideration when vacant positions are available here.
- Arkblu Capital, a private investment firm primarily focused on the venture capital asset class in Indonesia is looking for a creative lead (Jakarta-based), Senior Lawyer (Jakarta-based), and a Bilingual Manager (Finance & Operations) (Sydney Based). Apply by the 18 Feb.
- Do you have a great Indonesia-Australia business development idea that needs connecting and support? Submit your ideas to Katalis through its business portal here. Proposals can be submitted all year, and will be subject to approval from the governments of Indonesia and Australia.
- DFAT has established the Emerging Markets Impact Investment Fund (EMIIF) which seeks to support development ideas across the Indo-Pacific region. If you have a bright development idea consider applying for support here.
- Lakoat Kujawas is calling for proposals for the art residency program 2021-2022! The community of Taiftob Village, Mollo, NTT is open for collaboration with interdisciplinary artists and food activists. More info here.
- The Australian National University is seeking a Senior Partnerships Manager (here) and Senior Partnerships Officer (here) to be based in Jakarta. The role will primarily focus on student recruitment activities and partnerships in Indonesia.
- Asia Options has two vacant positions; Marketing Specialist and Country Correspondent Roles to join the team. See here for more info.
- Australian Volunteers is temporarily suspending overseas placements but are continuing to support partner organisations through remote volunteering. If you’re interested in volunteering in-country then check-out a range of opportunities here.
- Inside Indonesia publishes original pieces on a wide range of political, social, environmental, and cultural issues in Indonesia. They accept articles from a diverse range of people who have an interest in Indonesia. To find out how to contribute, click here.
- Indonesian teachers: St Thomas More Primary School, Sunshine Beach, Queensland and Scots College, Sydney are looking for Indonesian teachers.
- Asia Society is looking for a Special Assistant and Advisor to the President. Apply here
- Fullerton Services is looking for a freelance interpreter (all languages) to work in a range of governmental and private companies. Apply here
Like what we do? Want to join or support your local chapter to contribute to our exciting activities? Sign up as an AIYA member today!