AIYA Links: 11 February
A waiter named Fardlan who lives with a hearing impairment aptly captures the struggles of Indonesians with a disability during the pandemic.
In the News
- An elusive Indonesian crocodile, which has swum around with a motorcycle tyre stuck around its neck for six years, has finally been freed by an animal lover on the island of Sulawesi. (Reuters)
- Minister Littleproud has promoted agricultural trade and cooperation over three days in Indonesia which included meetings with key Ministers. (Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment)
- Indonesia just announced the name of its planned new capital, Nusantara, to be built on Borneo island, about 1,300 kilometres away from the current capital, Jakarta. (The Conversation)
- John Souisa steered refugees to safety and never stopped campaigning for Moluccan freedom. John and his son Paul had left a terrible conflict in a remote and rarely visited part of Indonesia, one that led to more than 5,000 deaths and the displacement of 700,000 people. (The Guardian)
- The Representatives of the Indonesian Government in Australia have consistently pushed cooperation in digital technology and innovation, as recently demonstrated by the Government of Indonesia’s support for e-commerce’s partnership with the Victorian government in Australia. (Open Gov Asia)
- Vocalist Karina Utomo and percussionist Rama Parwata from Rinuwat explain to Sri Dean the challenges and joys in making their unique music, how it affected them personally and why the title of Dua Naga represents the balance they sought to achieve. Listen to the interview here.
- Dr Dave McRae chats with Dr Amalinda Savirani about one such example, the emergence of the Indonesian Solidarity Party (PSI) to contest the 2019 elections. Listen to this week’s episode of Talking Indonesia here.
- AIYA Indigenous Engagement Events! Kumpul, AIYA’s Indigenous Engagement Committee have worked to construct and host some events in celebration. Interested? Join the WA group here and/or the FB group here.
- JOIN AIYA ON DISCORD! AIYA would like to cordially invite you to join our new Discord, an online group-chatting platform. We will be using Discord a digital hub for AIYA activities including:
- FLEX – our online language exchange is on Discord and open to anyone with any level of Indonesian and English. FLEX will return on 16 January 2022. Stay tuned!
- Games nights – AIYA will be hosting casual and impromptu gatherings on Discord
- Ngobrol santai – any AIYA member will be able to join and chat with other members whenever you want.
- JOIN AIYA IN-PERSON LANGUAGE EXCHANGE! LX is back in multiple locations across Australia. Connect, chill, and converse with like-minded youth, meet new friends and engage in cross-cultural exchange. In-person language exchange is on:
- WA: Every second Wednesday, 6pm, Old Shanghai Northbridge. Follow @aiya_wa on Instagram or Facebook for more info.
- AIYA SulSel and AIYA Yogyakarta is hosting a Sharing Session about the Australia Award Scholarships on 12 Feb. Register here.
- AIYA NTT is hosting an LX Valentine’s Day virtual event via Zoom on 12 Feb. Register here.
- AIYA Jakarta is hosting the Australia-Indonesia Case Competition (AICC). This event aims to increase Australian and Indonesian Youths critical thinking in business cases. Enter by 14 Feb here.
- Monash University Indonesia is hosting an online event to explore innovative partnerships between Australia and Indonesia and how these can help achieve the SDGs. Register for 15 Feb here.
- Sydney Australia Masterclass will be held from 7 – 17 Feb, bringing together some of Australia’s most renowned academics. Join them as they shine a light on the global issues defining our future. More information here.
- AIBC is hosting a webinaron Indonesia-Australia Skills Development Exchange Pilot Project. Join the talk on 17 Feb and register here.
- Charles Darwin University is hosting the Understanding Indonesia: Movers and Shakers conference on 18 February. Register here.
- Dharma Wanita Persatuan of the Indonesian Embassy is hosting a joint webinar to share knowledge and experience and equip the audience with the know-how in dealing with the pandemic as an individual, family members and community. Register by 19 February here.
- AIYA NSW is hosting Malam Trivia on 19 February via Zoom covering topics on all things Australia and Indonesia. Contact Nathan Franklin and register here.
- AIATSIS Summit calls for papers! This year’s theme, Navigating the spaces in between, foregrounds the brilliance and value of Indigenous ways of knowing and seeing the world. Submit your abstract by 15 Mar and attend the summit on 30 May – 3 Jun. More info here.
- Prospera is looking for a Research Analyst to support the integration of advisory and engagement work and public service performance improvement activities. Apply here by 11 Feb.
- Department of Jobs, Precincts and Regions is looking for a Senior Education Services Director with an extensive background and proven track record in leadership roles, international education, successful business development and relationship management, to join the Victorian Government Trade & Investment (VGTI) network. Apply by 20 Feb here.
- AIYA SA is inviting people passionate about Aus-Indo relations to join the 2022 Committee as President, Treasurer and Secretary. Nominate yourself by 21 Feb here.
- Arkblu Capital, a private investment firm primarily focused on the venture capital asset class in Indonesia is looking for a Senior Lawyer (Jakarta-based) and a Bilingual Manager (Finance & Operations) (Sydney Based). Apply by the 18 Feb.
- CQUniversity Australia is looking for their next CEO Indonesia Operations to take the lead in making a difference in international higher education and achieve outstanding results beyond the typical University approach. Apply by 20 Feb here.
- Asialink Leaders Program offers a transformational experience that will equip you with the latest insights, capabilities, and connections to position you for success with Asia. Apply by 31 March here.
- The University of Melbourne is looking for an Associate Director for Advocacy & Business Services who will build and shape the business unit, providing strategic direction and management. Apply here.
- The University of Melbourne is looking for an Associate Director Stakeholder Engagement who will be responsible for working with the CEO Asialink Business in managing key stakeholder relationships, with a particular focus on Government. Apply here.
- ACICIS intends to provide in-country study again from semester 2, 2022. In the meantime, we encourage you to register your interest by completing the first part of their online application form.
- Business Smart Solutions is looking for a motivated IT Project and Relationship Coordinator to join their Sydney team, with at least 1-year of professional experience, including project management experience or interest. Apply here.
- Australian Awards Scholarship sudah buka! Dengan beasiswa ini, kamu bisa mendapatkan beasiswa fully-funded saat kuliah di Australia! Daftar sebelum 29 April, info lebih lanjut di sini.
- Bukalapak, an Indonesian-based tech unicorn with over 100 million users, 2 thousand plus employees, and a brand new office opening right here in Melbourne! They are looking for multiple positions in Software Engineering in Sydney and Melbourne. Apply here.
- Kemitraan is seeking to identify highly motivated and qualified candidates for Anti-Corruption Program. Register for consideration when vacant positions are available here.
- Australian Government is receiving applications for Working Holiday Maker program that allows young adults to have a 12 month holiday, during which they can undertake short-term work and study. More info here.
- TechieRank.com is a free service from an Aussie Startup that is aiming to help young Indonesian techies stand out to recruiters and employers. Find out more here.
- Do you have a great Indonesia-Australia business development idea that needs connecting and support? Submit your ideas to Katalis through its business portal here. Proposals can be submitted all year, and will be subject to approval from the governments of Indonesia and Australia.
- DFAT has established the Emerging Markets Impact Investment Fund (EMIIF) which seeks to support development ideas across the Indo-Pacific region. If you have a bright development idea consider applying for support here.
- Lakoat Kujawas is calling for proposals for the art residency program 2021-2022! The community of Taiftob Village, Mollo, NTT is open for collaboration with interdisciplinary artists and food activists. More info here.
- The Australian National University is seeking a Senior Partnerships Manager (here) and Senior Partnerships Officer (here) to be based in Jakarta. The role will primarily focus on student recruitment activities and partnerships in Indonesia.
- The Australian National University is offering a course on introduction to Indonesia’s economy and policy environment. This is a chance to learn from world experts on the Indonesian economy in a two-day intensive course. More info here.
- Asia Options has two vacant positions; Marketing Specialist and Country Correspondent Roles to join the team. See here for more info.
- Asia Society is looking for a Special Assistant and Advisor to the President. Apply here.
- Australian Volunteers is temporarily suspending overseas placements but are continuing to support partner organisations through remote volunteering. If you’re interested in volunteering in-country then check-out a range of opportunities here.
- Inside Indonesia publishes original pieces on a wide range of political, social, environmental, and cultural issues in Indonesia. They accept articles from people who have an interest in Indonesia. To find out how to contribute, click here.
- Indonesian teachers: Scots College, Sydney is looking for Indonesian teachers.
- Fullerton Services is looking for a freelance interpreter (all languages) to work in a range of governmental and private companies. Apply here.
Like what we do? Want to join or support your local chapter to contribute to our exciting activities? Sign up as an AIYA member today!