In the news: a new president
- President Joko Widodo was sworn in on Monday—check out AIYA’s roundup of the day on social media.
- PM Tony Abbott met President Jokowi at Istana Merdeka after the ceremony for a half-hour talk.
- ANU academic and 2013 CAUSINDY delegate @RossTapsell puts the meeting in perspective.
- The announcement of the new cabinet was delayed in farcical circumstances on Wednesday.
- Civil society groups are eager to see political parties’ influence over cabinet minimised.
- Meanwhile, some Australian aviators made the unwise decision to fly far into Indonesian airspace without approval.
- Demand from Indonesia is pushing cattle prices in the Northern Territory to record highs.
- Watch the great @ElizabethPisani speak at the recent TEDx Ubud on ‘the other side of corruption in Indonesia‘.
Events and opportunities
- Canberra, 27 October, 18:00—come along to AIYA ACT’s Annual General Meeting and Language Exchange to get involved and hone your language skills.