AIYA Links: 29 January
A big year, with more to come—read AIYA National President Nicholas Mark’s message reviewing our activities in 2015 and plans for the future.
In the news
- The ninth economic reform package launched by Indonesia is focussed on controlling food prices.
- Almost as soon as it arrives, Netflix is blocked by Indonesia’s largest internet provider.
- Inside Indonesia reports on how human rights and labour activists are ‘deeply disappointed’ with the Jokowi government.
- Controversy over an LGBT support group at Universitas Indonesia reflect a growing ‘moral panic around LGBT issues’, writes Hendri Yulius.
- Don’t miss the latest Talking Indonesia podcast on how Indonesia’s literary scene is a window into its culture.
- ANU’s Greg Fealy and Hugh White take a critical look at Indonesia’s ‘great power’ ambitions.
Events & opportunities
- Fremantle, 6 February: AIYA WA hosts the stars of @DanielZiv‘s marvellous documentary Jalanan for a special musical performance and film screening. RSVP before places run out!