In the news
- ‘I have told you, just be firm, especially with foreign drug dealers who enter the country and resist [upon arrest]. Gun them down. Give no mercy.’ President Jokowi has instructed law enforcement officials to impose strict sanctions on drug dealers in Indonesia.
- In the East Asia Forum, Greg Fealy argues that simplistic views of Indonesian Islam are limiting Australian diplomacy.
- In 1667 the Dutch swapped Manhattan in New York for the island of Run in the Banda Islands. Jewel Topsfield and Karuni Rompies explore the island today.
- We should look to Indonesia to see why it is important to vaccinate children.
On the blog
- A series of events across Jakarta celebrated Australia’s rich Indigenous cultures during NAIDOC week. On the blog, we interview Australian Indigenous artist Jandamarra Cadd and Indonesian artist Jerry Thung on their unique international art collaboration.
- We sit down with Andrian Liem and Dr Annie Pohlmana to talk about Pojok Indonesia, a group originally founded with the aim of helping students at UQ to better speak Bahasa Indonesia but has since expanded (bahasa Indonesia).
- Sydney, 29 July – head down to Addison Road Community Centre in Marrickville for the annual Indonesian Bazaar 2017.
- Canberra, 2 August – Speed Dating Language Exchange with AIYA ACT.
- Jakarta, 4 August – Join the Jakarta Foreign Correspondents Club for a screening of the documentary Banda: The Dark Forgotten Trail.
- Lombok, Melbourne, Canberra, Newcastle and Sydney, 11-27 August, Modern Australian jazz meets Indonesian traditional percussion in a tour of the Julian Banks Group feat. Indonesian percussionist Cepi Kusmiadi.
- NTA East Indonesia Aid Marketing and Membership Committee has a number of volunteer roles available those with an interest in events, communications or fundraising.
- Do you use dwibahasa on social media? An AIYA Masters student is looking for participants in a study investigating language behaviours of using Indonesian and English on social media. Take part in the survey today.
Apply for NAILA
Apply today for NAILA 2017 – applications have been extended until 1 September for a wide range of categories, including the new categories of a Junior Executive Award, Senior Executive Award, and the Teacher’s Award.
Like what we do? Support AIYA by becoming a member today.