It’s great Albanese is in Indonesia, but Australia needs to do a lot more to reset relations. Here are 5 ways to start.
In the news
- The President of the Republic of Indonesia, His Excellency Joko Widodo, and the Prime Minister of Australia, The Hon Anthony Albanese MP, met for the Indonesia-Australia Annual Leaders’ Meeting in Bogor on 6 June 2022. Read the Joint Communiqué of the meeting here.
- Australia’s prime minister touched down in Jakarta on Sunday night accompanied by senior ministers and a high-powered business delegation to pursue a two-day diplomatic full court press in Indonesia. On arrival in Jakarta Albanese told reporters it was important to strengthen the relationship with Indonesia and with south-east Asian nations. (The Guardian)
- Presiden Joko Widodo (Jokowi) mengatakan Pemerintah Australia akan memberikan bantuan berupa hibah sebesar 200 juta dolar Australia atau Rp2,9 triliun untuk pembangunan infrastruktur. Hal ini dikatakan oleh Perdana Menteri Australia Anthony Albanese kepada Jokowi dalam kunjugannya. (CNN Indonesia)
- Acara kolaborasi antara organisasi AIYA Victoria dengan PPIA Monash bernamakan Belajar Bersama Hari Selasa, disingkat “Ber.ba.ha.sa”, merupakan salah satu program tahunan yang diadakan dalam lingkup Monash University yang terbuka untuk umum. “Berbahasa” kali ini bertempatkan di salah satu kampus Monash University yang terletak di Caulfield yang diselenggarakan pada 25 Mei 2022 lalu. (Buset)
- Industri perawatan lansia atau ‘aged care’ di Australia masih didominasi pekerja perempuan di tengah banyaknya stereotip dan hal lain yang menyebabkan laki-laki enggan menggelutinya. Menurut ahli sosial, hampir 90% pekerja perawatan lansia adalah perempuan, padahal keberagaman gender penting di industri ini. (Suara)
- Pemilu Australia telah dilaksanakan pada 21 Mei yang lalu. Oposisi dari Partai Buruh yang dipimpin oleh Anthony Albanese memenangkan pemilu atas Partai Liberal. Podcast DIHI UGM kali ini mengenai isu yang membawa kemenangan Partai Buruh, dan arah kebijakan luar negeri Australia, terutama terhadap kawasan ASEAN serta hubugan Indonesia-Australia. Dengarkan bahasan lengkapnya dengan para ahli di sini. (Podcast HI UGM)
- AIYA Indigenous Engagement Events! Kumpul, AIYA’s Indigenous Engagement Committee have worked to construct and host some events in celebration:
- JOIN AIYA ON DISCORD! AIYA would like to cordially invite you to join our new Discord, an online group-chatting platform. We will be using Discord a digital hub for AIYA activities including:
- FLEX – our online language exchange is on Discord and open to anyone with any level of Indonesian and English.
- Games nights – AIYA will be hosting casual and impromptu gatherings on Discord
- Ngobrol santai – any AIYA member will be able to join and chat with other members whenever you want.
- JOIN AIYA LANGUAGE EXCHANGE (IN-PERSON or ONLINE!) LX is back in multiple locations across Australia. Connect, chill, and converse with like-minded youth, meet new friends and engage in cross-cultural exchange. In-person language exchange is on:
- VIC: Every Wednesday, 6pm, Gallery Room, Multicultural Hub, 506 Elizabeth St, Melbourne VIC 3000. Follow @aiya_victoria on Instagram or Facebook for more info.
- NSW: Every Wednesday, 6pm, Online on Zoom. Follow @aiya.nsw on Instagram or Facebook for more info.
- ANU Indonesia Project is hosting a public lecture on Prospects for Australia-Indonesia Trade-Investment Partnerships in the Digital, Telecommunication, Energy and Infrastructure Sectors’. This event will be held in-person and online on 15 June at 10am AEST/7am WIB. Registration required.
- The Australia Indonesia Business Council (AIBC) is hosting a number of events across Australia. See event details here. The closest on is the third event of the National Industry Series 2022, focusing on Indonesia’s Agribusiness and Food Sectorevent, on 15 June. Registration required here.
- City of Melbourne invites you to attend Melbourne-Bandung Innovation Event: Social Impact innovation on 15 June at 4pm AEST/1pm WIB. Register here.
- SSEAC will host Honours Bootcamp 2022, a professional development program for students in Australia who are enrolled in an Honours program related to Southeast Asia. The program is online and/or in-person, apply for the June 20-23 event here.
- Zane Goebel, an Indonesian specialist and linguistic anthropologist based in Brisbane, is offering taster classes to give you an insight into his ‘Blueprint Indonesian language maintenance program’. Join one of his free online taster meetings between 27 June-15 July. Schedules and registration links are available here.
- Asian Studies Association of Australia (ASAA) will host ASAA Conference ‘Social Justice in Pandemic Times’. Preceding the biennial ASAA conference, the 2022 Postgraduate Workshop (5 July) will run tailored sessions for students in Honours, Masters and PhD programs, focusing on Asia-related research. The event will be followed by Indonesia Council activities (6 July) where a panel of experts who will be speaking about Barriers to Research in Indonesia and Australia.
- Are you interested in learning Indonesian dances and music virtually? Come and join KJRI Melbourne for their Virtual Indonesia Arts and Culture Scholarship (IACS) “Aku Rindu Indonesia”. Find info and register here.
- ReelOzInd! Short Film Competition and Festival is back in 2022 and can’t wait to share its festival of short films with audiences in Indonesia, Australia and beyond. This year our theme is ‘suara/voice’. Submit your entry here.
- ACICIS intends to provide in-country study again from semester 2, 2022. In the meantime, we encourage you to register your interest by completing the first part of their online application form.
- Innovation for Indonesia’s School Children (INOVASI) is hiring a Deputy Director, Operations, will be responsible for overseeing the effective and efficient management of national and sub-national Operations. Send your applications here.
- Meta is looking for a Partner Manager – Gov, Politics & Nonprofits (Indonesia, Timor Leste, Brunei) to be based in Jakarta. Apply here.
- Prospera is looking for an Economist – Labour and Skills (13 June) to support the Labour and Skills Practice Area, and a National Senior Adviser (28 June) to support promoting more efficient labour market by strengthening the institutional arrangements of the Kartu Prakerja Program.
- IA-CEPA ECP Katalis is looking for a Project Officer (PO) to assist the Communications Adviser on the design, logistics, contract management and administration of communications activities. Apply by 21 June here.
- UNSW Canberra is looking for a senior lecturer in Indonesian Studies to support the research and teaching activities of the School and will be involved in advancing the School’s international profile by conducting scholarly research, contributing to the supervision of research students, and undertake a range of teaching duties. Apply here by 21 June.
- Tetra Tech is looking for a PhD and Master Senior Manager who will be responsible for effective and efficient PhD and Master program management, in line with the focus on developing and fostering change agents within the Australia Awards Global Strategy 2022-2030. Apply by 24 June here.
- ASEAN-Australia Strategic Youth Partnership is looking for the 50 most dynamic and motivated young leaders aged 18-29 from across ASEAN and Australia to represent their country at the second ever ASEAN-Australia Young Leaders Forum. Join here.
- Bukalapak, an Indonesian-based tech unicorn with over 100 million users, 2 thousand plus employees, and a brand new office opening right here in Melbourne! They are looking for multiple positions in Jakarta, Sydney and Melbourne. Apply here.
- Do you have a great Indonesia-Australia business development idea that needs connecting and support? Submit your ideas to Katalis through its business portal here. Proposals can be submitted all year, and will be subject to approval from the governments of Indonesia and Australia.
- Asialink has opened their 2022 Asialink Leaders Program. With over 26 years of history, the Asialink Leaders Program is Australia’s premier program for the Asia capable leaders of today and tomorrow, empowering over 950 alumni globally. More info here.
- Australian Government is receiving applications for Working Holiday Maker program that allows young adults to have a 12 month holiday, during which they can undertake short-term work and study. More info here.
- TechieRank.com is a free service from an Aussie Startup that is aiming to help young Indonesian techies stand out to recruiters and employers. Find out more here.
- DFAT has established the Emerging Markets Impact Investment Fund (EMIIF) which seeks to support development ideas across the Indo-Pacific region. If you have a bright development idea consider applying for support here.
- Lakoat Kujawas is calling for proposals for the art residency program 2021-2022! The community of Taiftob Village, Mollo, NTT is open for collaboration with interdisciplinary artists and food activists. More info here.
- The Australian National University is seeking a Senior Partnerships Manager (here) and Senior Partnerships Officer (here) to be based in Jakarta. The role will primarily focus on student recruitment activities and partnerships in Indonesia.
- The Australian National University is offering a course on introduction to Indonesia’s economy and policy environment. This is a chance to learn from world experts on the Indonesian economy in a two-day intensive course. More info here.
- Australian Volunteers is temporarily suspending overseas placements but are continuing to support partner organisations through remote volunteering. If you’re interested in volunteering in-country then check-out a range of opportunities here.
- Inside Indonesia publishes original pieces on a wide range of political, social, environmental, and cultural issues in Indonesia. They accept articles from people who have an interest in Indonesia. To find out how to contribute, click here.
- Career Insights: Graduate Programs in International Affairs In this article, YAIA has pulled together a curated list of graduate programs with an international focus, across federal Government departments and agencies, state and territory governments, and the private sector, that are available to apply for in 2022 (with most commencing in 2023). Find out more here.
- YAIA (Young Australians in International Affairs) A is seeking to appoint a new Chief Executive Officer (volunteer). The CEO is responsible for driving the strategic direction of the organisation, ensuring it delivers against its vision and overseeing the operations of the organisation. More info here.
- Australia RTO operating in Indonesia is hiring a Country Development Officer as an in-country marketing officer and to grow recruitment channels for Indonesian students. Apply here.