AIYA Links: 23 January
In the News
- Thousands of workers held rallies in Indonesia’s capital Jakarta on Saturday, urging parliament to reject a presidential decree that critics say would erode employees’ rights and environmental protections. (Reuters)
- Pemerintah Australia perlu memastikan populasi migran dari luar negeri mengalir ke wilayah regional yang sangat membutuhkan pekerja terampil. (ABC News)
- Minggu lalu, gempa magnitudo 7,5 yang mengguncang Maluku Tenggara Barat dirasakan hingga ke Darwin, Ibu Kota Negara Bagian Australia Utara. (CNN Indonesia)
- Sayur Asem’s history perfectly captures what it means to be Indonesian. The random mix of vegetables in the dish somehow led to a symphony in taste. just like how the diversity in our ethnic groups have created something beautiful and uniquely Indonesian. (The Nusantara)
On the Blog
- As summer arrives and the Australian borders have long been opened for travel, now is a great time to plan your trip to enjoy the nation’s beaches, cities, natural sites and historical landmarks. To help you prepare for your future adventure, here are some important smartphone apps that you can download that will make your journey a lot more convenient and enjoyable. Read more.
- In this special series, ASPI’s Dr David Engel and Dr Gatra Priyandita have spoken to a number of special guests about the Australia-Indonesia Comprehensive Strategic Partnership, and the five pillars supporting it. (ASPI Podcast)
- AIYA Indigenous Engagement Events! The Kumpul Committee was established to connect with and celebrate the Indigenous cultures of both Australia and Indonesia.
- JOIN AIYA ON DISCORD! AIYA would like to cordially invite you to join our Discord, an online group-chatting platform. We will be using Discord a digital hub for AIYA activities including:
- Games nights – AIYA will be hosting casual and impromptu gatherings on Discord
- Ngobrol Santai – any AIYA member will be able to join and chat with other members whenever you want.
- JOIN AIYA FLEX – our online language exchange now moved to Zoom! It is open to anyone with any level of Indonesian and English, and held monthly on the first Sunday of the month at 1pm WIB/4pm AEST. Starting on 4 September, join FLEX here (a recurring link).
- JOIN AIYA LANGUAGE EXCHANGE (IN-PERSON or ONLINE!) LX is back in multiple locations across Australia. Connect, chill, and converse with like-minded youth, meet new friends and engage in cross-cultural exchange. In-person language exchange is on:
- ACT: Every Wednesday, 6pm, Marie Reay Building, ANU. Follow @aiya_act on Instagram or Facebook for more info.
- NSW: Every Wednesday, 6pm, Online on Zoom. Follow @aiya.nsw on Instagram or Facebook for more info.
- VIC: Every Wednesday, 6pm, Gallery Room, Multicultural Hub, 506 Elizabeth St, Melbourne VIC 3000. Follow @aiya_victoria on Instagram or Facebook for more info.
- YOGYA: Biweekly on Mondays, 7pm, Lokio Cafe. Follow @aiya.yogyakarta for more info.
- AIYA Victoria is looking for more committee members for their 2023 committee. Apply and find more info here.
- Would you like to travel, intern and make lifelong friends in Indonesia for free? Value Learning is sending out an Expression of Interest for the Australian Indonesia Youth Exchange Program. Register here.
- Asia Education Foundation is looking for a Digital Marketing and Communications Officer (27 Jan) and an Education Programs Coordinator (30 Jan) in Australia.
- IA-CEPA ECP Katalis is seeking a Lead Trade and Gender Equality, Disability and Social Inclusion (GEDSI) Adviser to lead the integration and mainstreaming of GEDSI across all Katalis activities and strengthen GEDSI through bilateral trade and investment opportunities. Apply by 30 Jan here.
- Prospera is looking for a Senior Project Officer (People & Culture) who will oversee the entire range of people and culture activities including workforce planning, employment relations and performance management. Apply here by 31 Jan.
- Prospera is looking for a Senior Economist (Climate & Energy Lead) who will coordinate a key aspect of Prospera’s climate and energy activities, assisting Prospera in framing climate and energy policy issues and addressing the analytic needs of engagement areas. Apply here by 2 Feb.
- Nominations for the 2023 Young Women To Watch In International Affairs list are now open. Apply here by 3 Feb.
- Prospera is looking for a Head of Macro – Finance – Climate & Energy that will lead a team providing analytic support to Prospera’s Practice Areas, responding to new and emerging policy issues, and addressing macroeconomic and financial sector, and climate and energy policy issues facing the government of Indonesia. Apply here by 7 Feb.
- Mosaic Connections is looking for a Communications Manager to lead ead with planning and developing social media campaigns. Apply here.
- Prospera is looking for a Deputy Director Partnership & Performance with a track record of innovation and an excellent reputation built on substantial partnerships in Government research, public policy and capacity development to contribute to Indonesia’s strong, sustainable and inclusive economic growth. Read more and apply by 21 Feb here.
- Register now to take part in the 17th Indonesian Film Festival Short Film Competition. The theme for the Competition is “Magnum Opus”.
- The Australia-Indonesia Centre is launching its online Talent Accelerator Program (TAP), aimed at increasing the impact and leadership of early career researchers across Indonesia and Australia. Apply here.
- ACICIS is looking for campaign volunteers to be part of a national initiative – aimed at shifting Australia’s monolingual mindset and promoting the study of languages among Australian university students. Apply here.
- Do you have a great Indonesia-Australia business development idea that needs connecting and support? Submit your ideas to Katalis through its business portal here. Proposals can be submitted all year, and will be subject to approval from the governments of Indonesia and Australia.
- Bukalapak, an Indonesian-based tech unicorn with over 100 million users, 2 thousand plus employees, and a brand new office opening right here in Melbourne! They are looking for multiple positions in Jakarta, Sydney and Melbourne. Apply here.
- DFAT has established the Emerging Markets Impact Investment Fund (EMIIF) which seeks to support development ideas across the Indo-Pacific region. If you have a bright development idea consider applying for support here.
- DT Global (KIAT) is opening various employment opportunities and current tenders. Find out more here. KIAT works with its government partners across Indonesia to deliver a range of large and small projects to improve access to infrastructure for all Indonesians.
- Australian Volunteers is temporarily suspending overseas placements but are continuing to support partner organisations through remote volunteering. If you’re interested in volunteering in-country then check-out a range of opportunities here.
- Australian Government is receiving applications for the Working Holiday Maker program that allows young adults to have a 12 month holiday, during which they can undertake short-term work and study. More info here.
- The Australian National University is offering a course on introduction to Indonesia’s economy and policy environment. This is a chance to learn from world experts on the Indonesian economy in a two-day intensive course. More info here.
- Inside Indonesia publishes original pieces on a wide range of political, social, environmental, and cultural issues in Indonesia. They accept articles from people who have an interest in Indonesia. To find out how to contribute, click here.
- Career Insights: Graduate Programs in International Affairs In this article, YAIA has pulled together a curated list of graduate programs with an international focus, across federal Government departments and agencies, state and territory governments, and the private sector, that are available to apply for in 2023. Find out more here.
Like what we do? Want to join or support your local chapter to contribute to our exciting activities? Sign up as an AIYA member today!