July 26th in Indonesia is no ordinary Wednesday; it’s a “Pon Wednesday” – a special day in the Javanese calendar. President Jokowi has chosen this day three times for crucial political announcements, such as cabinet reshuffles and revoking Indonesia’s COVID-19 pandemic status in 2023. President Jokowi’s alignment with Javanese culture has sparked discussions about the significant role it plays in shaping political destinies in Indonesia. Discover how Javanese calendars and culture influence Indonesian President Joko Widodo’s decisions. (ABC News)
In the News
- Menteri Industri dan Sains Australia, Ed Husic, menemui Wakil Menteri Luar Negeri (Wamenlu) RI, Pahala Nugraha Mansury, di Jakarta, Selasa (25/7/2023). Keduanya membahas peluang kerjasama antara RI dan Australia, mulai dari EV hingga pangan. (CNBC Indonesia)
- The Batam Free-Trade Zone Agency (BP Batam) will host a bilateral meeting between the Coordinating Ministry for Economic Affairs and the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) on August 23, 2023. (Antara News)
- Billionaire Elon Musk’s Twitter rebranded ‘X’ has been reportedly blocked in Indonesia because of the country’s laws on online pornography and gambling. (INDEPENDENT UK)
- The first two staff cadets from the Indonesian Armed Forces have graduated from the Royal Military College – Duntroon, joining more than 10,000 trainees to achieve their commissioned rank at the historic college since 1911. (Defence News)
- How cross-cultural friendship improve your outlook and heighten your sense of belonging? Find out more on this Make friends in Australia: the importance of cross-cultural friendships Podcast (SBS)
- For decades, Australians’ interest in learning Indonesian has been sharply declining, with several universities cutting courses in the language altogether. As Indonesia eyes an increasingly important role in Southeast Asia, some experts say it’s time to reverse that trend. (SBS)
- AIYA National’s Cultural Diversity Committee! The “Kumpul” Committee, meaning “gathering” in Indonesian, was established to connect with and celebrate the Indigenous cultures of Australia following NAIDOC week 2021. It has now broadened its scope to encapsulate the cultural diversity of both Australia and Indonesia.
- JOIN AIYA ON DISCORD! AIYA would like to cordially invite you to join our Discord, an online group-chatting platform. We will be using Discord a digital hub for AIYA activities including:
- Games nights – AIYA will be hosting casual and impromptu gatherings on Discord
- Ngobrol santai – any AIYA member can join and chat with other members whenever you want.
- JOIN AIYA FLEX – our online language exchange is open to anyone with any level of Indonesian and English! It is held monthly on the first Sunday of the month at 1pm WIB/4pm AEST. Join FLEX here (a recurring link).
- JOIN AIYA LANGUAGE EXCHANGE (IN-PERSON or ONLINE!) LX is back in multiple locations across Australia. Connect, chill, and converse with like-minded youth, meet new friends and engage in cross-cultural exchange. In-person language exchange is on:
- NSW: Every Thursday, 6:30pm, alternating between in-person and online on Zoom. Follow @aiya_nsw on Instagram or Facebook for more info or find the schedule here.
- VIC: Every Wednesday, 6pm, Kathleen Syme Library and Community Centre. Follow @aiya_victoria on Instagram or Facebook for more info.
- YOGYAKARTA: Biweekly on Mondays, 7pm, Lokio Cafe. Follow @aiya.yogyakarta on Instagram or Facebook for more info.
- Monash University is hosting Joey Alexander’s debut Australian performance. Acclaimed 3-time GRAMMY-nominated international piano prodigy, he brings his graceful and energetic jazz performance to the Alexander Theatre for his first-ever Australian solo performance. Book your ticket here for 10 August.
- Synergy Indonesia Australia is presenting IndOz Conference 2023 to be held in Brisbane City Hall on Thursday, 24th of August 2023. Register here by 17 August.
- Be a host family for AIYEP participants! In 2023, AIYEP are seeking families in Canberra to share their home life with an AIYEP participant from Indonesia on a short term placement from 11 November to 3 December. Submit your interest here.
- Are you working in the tourism sector and interested in developing your expertise and deepening your understanding of sustainable tourism management? Apply now for the Australia Awards Short Course on Sustainable Tourism Management! Apply by 30 July. More info here.
- ACICIS Study Indonesia is currently seeking expressions of interest for Academic Program Officers (APO) in the fields of agriculture, business, creative arts and design, development studies, journalism, law, and sustainable tourism. Registration is open until 31 July.
- The Australian Government Department of Education (DoE) is looking for a Deputy Director based in Australia who will provide high level policy advice on matters concerning Indonesia’s education and training, particularly focused on issues of interest to Australia. This vacancy will close on 6 August 2023 at 11.30 pm (Jakarta Time).
- ACICIS Study Indonesia is seeking Jakarta & Yogya Program Assistants. This position would suit a graduate of a local or Australian university. Interested applicants should submit a current CV and a statement (in English) at the latest by Friday, 11 August. More info here.
- The Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) is looking for a Security Section Team Leader Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, Australian Embassy Indonesia based in Jakarta. Submit your application here by no later than Tuesday, 25 July 2023 at 11.30 pm (Jakarta time).
- DFAT is hiring Treasury – Senior Economic Research Officer. They will assist the Minister-Counsellor in undertaking research, providing advice and reporting to Canberra. Apply here by 31 July.
- DT Global is looking for a Senior Communications Officer based in Jakarta to support the clear communication of KIAT’s policy priorities and achievements in the Indonesian infrastructure sector to Indonesian and Australian audiences. This position is on a rolling basis. Apply here.
- DT Global is looking for an Agrifood, agriculture and ag-tech adviser based in Jakarta who can be responsible for progressing Katalis’s work on agrifood, agriculture and ag-tech. APPLICATIONS CLOSE 21 Aug 2023, 17h00 Jakarta time. Apply here.
- International Internships opened applications for Indonesian university students to join their University of Technology Sydney (UTS) BAcc Asia leadership Intensive program. Applications close on 21st August 2023.
- Balai Bahasa Indonesia Perth in collaboration with the Department of Education of Western Australia and supported by the Consulate General of Republic of Indonesia in WA are seeking participants in the 2024 Indonesian Language Assistant Program in Western Australia. Applications will close on Friday 15 September 2023. Apply NOW!
- International Internships has announced RMIT SCIENCE AND COMPUTING TECHNOLOGY CAPSTONE PROJECTS. Work in a small team of RMIT students to complete a real-world project for an Indonesian host organisation. Eligible students can receive generous New Colombo Plan (NCP) grants. For more information visit which has the project details and NCP eligibility requirements here.
- International Internships has announced that the RMIT Fashion Intensive 2024 applications are now open. Join their info session on 19 September @ 5:30pm AEST. More info here
- AIYEP is looking for organisations and businesses across Canberra to intern 21 Indonesian delegates. Here for more information on hosting for AIYEP visit. Submit your organisation’s expression of interest here by 30th September 2023.
- Australian Volunteers is temporarily suspending overseas placements but are continuing to support partner organisations through remote volunteering. If you’re interested in volunteering in-country then check-out a range of opportunities here.
- DFAT has established the Emerging Markets Impact Investment Fund (EMIIF) which seeks to support development ideas across the Indo-Pacific region. If you have a bright development idea consider applying for support here.
- Do you have a great Indonesia-Australia business development idea that needs connecting and support? Submit your ideas to Katalis through its business portal here. Proposals can be submitted all year, and will be subject to approval from the governments of Indonesia and Australia.
- DT Global (KIAT) is opening various employment opportunities and current tenders. Find out more here. KIAT works with its government partners across Indonesia to deliver a range of large and small projects to improve access to infrastructure for all Indonesians.
- Inside Indonesia is looking for a reliable volunteer to help with uploading a few articles to the website every couple of weeks. Please send your interest to [email protected]
- The Australian Government is receiving applications for the Working Holiday Maker program that allows young adults to have a 12 month holiday, during which they can undertake short-term work and study. More info here.
- The Australian National University is offering a course on introduction to Indonesia’s economy and policy environment. This is a chance to learn from world experts on the Indonesian economy in a two-day intensive course. More info here.
- The Jakarta Bintangs is an Australian Football Club with membership open to women, men and children of all nationalities, ages and ability. Beginners are most welcome. The club organizes games throughout the year. Most games are played in Jakarta, with occasional games across Indonesia and overseas. Tours are planned to Bali, Batam, Vietnam and Thailand this year. Training is mostly held at Lapangan Bola Aldiron in Jakarta on Saturday or Sunday afternoons. On occasion, training sessions are also held Thursday nights in the GBK complex.To keep up to date with training schedule follow them on Instagram @jakartabintangs, or contact Han on 081119337855. For more information click here.